Saturday, November 8, 2008

Finley & Tuni <3 each other


Finley and Tuni could spend all day long doing this, if I let them. Polly HATES it. She can't stand the noise, the chaos, the dogs about to bash into her. She blasts in to the middle of their play and gives Finley the smackdown for daring to be so obnoxiously annoying.

Sometimes she wants to play, too, but she doesn't know how. She hops into a play bow and then when Finley starts to play back, she corrects him with a quick, noisy, inhibited muzzle grab, and he turns away and sinks to his belly.

Then Tuni gets angry with Polly, because look, WE WERE HAVING FUN HERE AND YOU RUINED IT.

So whenever Tuni and Finley get playful, I put Polly in a crate, so that she won't interfere. This makes her sad, and she cries and barks and cries some more. Or I put her out back, but then she runs to the back of my yard, stands at the base of the dead pine and the swamp maple, and barks and barks and barks and barks at the squirrels who stand in the tree and mock her mercilessly with their very presence.

I suspect that she thinks that if she barks long enough, she'll scare one of them into having a heart attack and falling directly into her open mouth. I have tried to point out to her that perhaps the stealth approach would be more effective, but Polly doesn't do subtle.

I think the squirrels are up there sniggering and giving her the squirrel equivalent of the finger.

You know what one single little thing I want to know, though? Why do they insist on wrestling in my house, on my couch, on my living room floor? If I ask them to take it out back, where all the furniture is made of plastic, they act like I've wounded them mortally, and then stand at the back door and cry until I figure that since they're no longer playing, I may as well let them back in. Inside! Whoo hoo! So happy! SO HAPPY! TIME TO CRASH AND BASH AGAIN!!!!

Repeat ad nauseum.

1 comment: