Sunday, December 7, 2008

Jealousy!

After our beloved Nonnypenny died of cancer in the spring, we really needed a third dog again. Two dogs are cheaper and easier to care for than three, and I didn't necessarily want a third dog, but poor Tuni was going slightly crazy. She and Polly don't have compatible play styles and Tuni has a high need for hours of play with dogs on a daily basis. Without it, she gets anxious and squirrelly and just plain weird. We HAD to get a third dog.

Three dogs is a fantastic number of dogs to have, but it gets difficult when you want to take them out for a hike or on a drive (especially with that giant carseat in the back of my car). My dogs are great on the leash separately. Together, they're all over the place. They're not tiny little dogs, so that can be frustrating. We'll only take them out two at a time (one person per dog), which means someone has to stay home. I hate leaving someone home! They stand at the door or bounce in their crates, crying piteously. Sad faces peer at me. "How could you leave US behind and take THAT one? Betrayal! Heartbreak! I'm calling CPS (Canine Protective Services)," they threaten. Also, sometimes they eat the front door in frustration. Two dogs are easier to have adventures with than three. Actually, one dog is easiest to have adventures with, but one dog? Where's the excitement in that?

I think today I'm going to break out the yummy meaty bones and crate a dog or two, put Finley in his cute little green sweater, and take a walk along the brand new nature path that they just opened up in the nearby park. It should be very pretty, with the ice and the snow on everything.

Total change of subject time! I saw a flea on Tuni yesterday. Augh! Time to break out the Frontline. I think I only have one tube for dogs and two or three for cats, so I need to buy, um... an awful lot of it.

For Christmas this year, won't someone buy me something useful, like a year's worth of Frontline for 3 dogs and 5 cats? I would be ever so grateful.

1 comment:

Cavewoman said...

You know, that's really not such a bad idea: buying frontline or another pet Rx for somebody.